Students will research and explain the parts of the Raspberry Pi and GoPiGo robot as well as human body systems. Students will correlate the components and functions of the GoPiGo with human body systems. Students will compare and contrast human body systems to components and functions of the GoPiGo.
Copy student handouts (choose the handouts for the GoPiGo that you have access to)
- Students will take the GoPiGo and Raspberry Pi Parts Pre-Assessment and label some of the major parts of the robot.
- Ask students, “What parts of the GoPiGo do you know about already? What parts do you still have questions about?”
- Tell the class that they will research information about the GoPiGo robot as well as human body systems. They will then compare and contrast the parts of the GoPiGo with body systems.
- Describe and explain the parts of the GoPiGo and Raspberry Pi using the student handouts as a reference (GoPiGo parts, GoPiGo Board Anatomy, GoPiGo and Raspberry Pi Anatomy). Project the handouts on the board if a projector is available.
- Students will work in pairs or in a small group to research more about how the GoPiGo works. Students will need to research the components to see how they interact with one another.
- Students will create at least one flowchart to describe how the GoPiGo works and how the components interact with one another. Check for misunderstandings before students move to the next step.
- With their partner or group, students will research human body systems. A general overview of each body system is included on the student handout as well as room for notes.
- Students will then work with their partner or group to correlate a each of the body systems to a part or parts of the GoPiGo. All work will be organized on the Anatomy Comparison student handout.
- Independently, students will write an essay explaining one or two body systems and correlated GoPiGo components.
Essay: Choose one or two body systems and correlated GoPiGo component(s). Write a 4-6 paragraph essay explaining how each system works as well as comparing and contrasting the components, functions, capabilities of those systems in detail. Include citations.
- Students will review their pre-assessment handouts and make changes as needed to their responses.
- Facilitate a class discussion about student findings. What body systems and GoPiGo parts were compared? What are the similarities? What are the differences?